Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Birthdays and Food

Tomorrow, we will be having a lunch for two of my "girls" in accounting who are celebrating birthdays.

If you follow the news, you know that newspapers are a fading fad. Thus, our budgets shrink each year.

How do you deal with a shrinking budget and still celebrate birthdays of staff members? You bring ingenuity and recipes!

Our menu tomorrow is Italian. There are 5 of us in the department and with two celebrating birthdays, it takes three to cook. Here is what we decided to do.

We decided on fresh Italian. We are serving:

Tomato and Gorgonzola Salad (yes, we checked, our tomatoes are salmonella free)

Italian chicken casserole

Capellini Pomodoro (angel hair pasta with fresh tomatoes, basil and garlic)
Sauteed Mushrooms:


And Apple Crisp with Vanilla Bean Ice cream.

I have been cooking since I got home.

You see, I do have a hidden talent. I made the apple crisp, the mushrooms and the Capellini (the pictures are off the web, I am not brave enough to take pics of my own food)

I do hope it goes over well, and the girls are not disappointed in not having a store bought cake with candles.

I'll let you know how lunch goes. I put my heart in it as did the two other ladies, but you never know how people will react.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

The lunch was FABULOUS!

First a correction, it wasn't a chicken casserole, it was chicken medallions in a balsamic glaze with mushrooms and it was the best! I have the recipe so sometime, I will post it!

We started eating almost as soon as we got in this morning, and we never stopped. There were no leftovers.


All of us are going to be spending time at the Y on the stairmaster!

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Hey, count me in!!! Italian food is my favorite!!! I'll pass on the mushrooms, though! But I'll take doubles on the apple crisp!!! It all sounds so-ooo good!!!

I'm sure the girls will appreciate the thought and work you put into it.

Beth Cotell said...

I would hope they would be pleased as punch! When I used to work, if someone was having a birthday, we would all chip in and get a cake and that was it.

To have a home cooked meal would hav been wonderful!

Anonymous said...

That sounds so nice--what a great thing to do. I know you will have fun. The apple crisp sounds wonderful--way better than cake.
D

hippo chick said...

yum! yum! yum! what a great idea. sounds like great fun. jim and i went out to lunch today and i had penne in vodka sauce. it was scrumtious.

have fun, dear friend.

Nancy said...

Yes, Girly, get off "your" stick and post that recipe! :)